Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #451
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490151
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizk View Post
My H&K 2019 part number is, 86431VA620
Thanks. What model do you have and is it USDM or CADM? I’m trying to confirm which part number is the equivalent to my USDM 2018 STI Limited.
Subie Muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #452
yizk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438030

USDM is what I have
yizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #453
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
USDM is what I have
Thanks. Is it the PHONE or the MAP unit?
Old 07-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #454
yizk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438030

It's the phone unit
yizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #455
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
It's the phone unit
Got it, thank you. So it is like it has been mentioned. Yours is made by HK (all 2019s are, it seems) but is not the one that comes with the HK sound system. As far as I know, the only HU that come with the HK sound system are the MAP units. You can’t get the HK sound system without Navigation.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #456
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

For those that wanted it, I completed the write-up here for installing the 2019 Nav radio into my Crosstrek.

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/thread...d-unit.177571/

Shaky cam video here:
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #457
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490337

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
For those that wanted it, I completed the write-up here for installing the 2019 Nav radio into my Crosstrek.

Shaky cam video here: YouTube
You did an incredible job putting this together. This was quite the undertaking. From what I can tell your XV did not come with an HK amp from the factory, correct?

For WRX owners, if you are wanting an HK 2019 headunit into a 2016/17 HK WRX, we can assume that a 2019 HK trunk amp is also necessary. We also don't know how to mate the 2016/17 dash harness to the 2019 amp in the trunk which we know have different connectors, right?

We can use this info to sort it out:
2019 Radio -> Amplifier
10-Pin No 1 -> 28-Pin Black No 7 (FR+/R+)
10-Pin No 2 -> 28-Pin Black No 6 (FL+/L+)
10-Pin No 3 -> 28-Pin White No 8 (ACC)
10-Pin No 5 -> 28-Pin Black No 21 (FR-/R-)
10-Pin No 6 -> 28-Pin Black No 20 (FL-/L-)
6-Pin No 2 -> 28-Pin White No 7 (INT/IL1+)
6-Pin No 6 -> 28-Pin White No 21 (INT-/IL-)
28-Pin No 7 -> 28-Pin White No 6 (CAN+/TX+)
28-Pin No 8 -> 28-Pin White No 5 (CAN-/TX-)
6-Pin No 4 -> Foil Tape Shield

But do we know what pin on the amp input connector correlates to these pins on the dash connectors?
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #458
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
You did an incredible job putting this together. This was quite the undertaking. From what I can tell your XV did not come with an HK amp from the factory, correct?

For WRX owners, if you are wanting an HK 2019 headunit into a 2016/17 HK WRX, we can assume that a 2019 HK trunk amp is also necessary. We also don't know how to mate the 2016/17 dash harness to the 2019 amp in the trunk which we know have different connectors, right?

We can use this info to sort it out:
2019 Radio -> Amplifier
10-Pin No 1 -> 28-Pin Black No 7 (FR+/R+)
10-Pin No 2 -> 28-Pin Black No 6 (FL+/L+)
10-Pin No 3 -> 28-Pin White No 8 (ACC)
10-Pin No 5 -> 28-Pin Black No 21 (FR-/R-)
10-Pin No 6 -> 28-Pin Black No 20 (FL-/L-)
6-Pin No 2 -> 28-Pin White No 7 (INT/IL1+)
6-Pin No 6 -> 28-Pin White No 21 (INT-/IL-)
28-Pin No 7 -> 28-Pin White No 6 (CAN+/TX+)
28-Pin No 8 -> 28-Pin White No 5 (CAN-/TX-)
6-Pin No 4 -> Foil Tape Shield

But do we know what pin on the amp input connector correlates to these pins on the dash connectors?
Thanks, I mostly wanted to dump all the info while it was still fresh in my brain in the hopes of helping someone else.

Correct, no 2013-2017 Crosstrek came with an Amp so I had to do more work in order to add that as well. This now got me itching to try the same swap in my 2016 WRX. For that car though I wouldn't have to build the sender / receiver lines I talked about in my guide. If it was necessary to swap in a 2019 Amp, I'd think the adapter harness would need to be at the Amp end in the trunk.

Using those two sections from the 2018 & 2019 guides I linked a couple months back, the wiring to the amp looks pretty much the same. The only real difference I see is that for the 2018's, the radio sends the speed signal to the amp which I assume controls volume based on speed. On the 2019's however this signal only seems to go to the radio which I assume then tells the 2019 amp to Vol+/- depending on speed. There other minor difference is that the shield ground wire on the 2018 connects to both the radio and the amp, where as on the 2019 it only connects to the radio end.

I can't see either of these leading to the no sound issue when @silvergc tried so I might then assume that you were correct months back that the 2019 Amp is different internally and that perhaps a 2019 Radio cannot properly communicate with a 2018 Amp.

Last edited by protivakid; 07-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #459
kevinmccloudsdad
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516662

Quote:

Shaky cam video here: YouTube
This is just insanely impressive, thanks for posting all of that information.

I've had a read of your full post but I'm not that technically minded so I'm a bit confused - in the head unit that you installed, was there a way to disable GPS/built in Nav? I can see one cable there marked GPS.

Context is I'm trying to disable the built in Nav in my 17 Impreza (I like the digital speedo, I hate the incorrect speed limits).
kevinmccloudsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #460
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmccloudsdad View Post
This is just insanely impressive, thanks for posting all of that information.

I've had a read of your full post but I'm not that technically minded so I'm a bit confused - in the head unit that you installed, was there a way to disable GPS/built in Nav? I can see one cable there marked GPS.

Context is I'm trying to disable the built in Nav in my 17 Impreza (I like the digital speedo, I hate the incorrect speed limits).
You could unplug the GPS antenna if you wanted. If you are not using the nav, does the car still force the speed limit signs onto you?
Old 07-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #461
Nahoward
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486869
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX CVT Stage2
Lapis Blue

So, what's the tl;dr for someone with an 18 USDM WRX Premium that has a 7" non-HK head unit that wants the 19+'s Android Auto functionality?
Nahoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #462
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoward View Post
So, what's the tl;dr for someone with an 18 USDM WRX Premium that has a 7" non-HK head unit that wants the 19+'s Android Auto functionality?
In the first part of the guide I talk about what's needed if you want to skip the whole Nav / Amp part
Old 07-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #463
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

I have been messing with the headunit and cycling power and now my car won't start. It won't even go into the 'On" position. I think I some how tripped the immobilizer because I am getting a warning about my keyless access system is disabled. Has anyone had issues with this?
Old 07-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #464
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

So I think I did some serious damage to the WRX. I was having issues with louder hum from the AXXESS Tyto so I pulled the headunit out and was messing around with the batt term off. Then I reconnected the term and was playing with the head unit including cycling between off, acc, and on (I have a push to starto.

But now, I cannot get the car to go into the "on" mode and I cannot start it (no crank). I have checked every fuse in the dash and engine bay. The car DOES go into ACC mode and the headunit powers up. Then when I hold the clutch in the little light on the push to start button goes from orange to green. Then when I push the button, nothing happens. No dash lights, no crank, nothing.

Note when I am in ACC I see little profile of the WRX in the gauge cluster screen. But, it will not do the thing where the tachy and speedo go up and down. There are no gauge cluster lights except for occasional flashing of the car and lock symbol.

Basically it is acting normaly until you try to go to "on" and then nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #465
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
So I think I did some serious damage to the WRX. I was having issues with louder hum from the AXXESS Tyto so I pulled the headunit out and was messing around with the batt term off. Then I reconnected the term and was playing with the head unit including cycling between off, acc, and on (I have a push to starto.

But now, I cannot get the car to go into the "on" mode and I cannot start it (no crank). I have checked every fuse in the dash and engine bay. The car DOES go into ACC mode and the headunit powers up. Then when I hold the clutch in the little light on the push to start button goes from orange to green. Then when I push the button, nothing happens. No dash lights, no crank, nothing.

Note when I am in ACC I see little profile of the WRX in the gauge cluster screen. But, it will not do the thing where the tachy and speedo go up and down. There are no gauge cluster lights except for occasional flashing of the car and lock symbol.

Basically it is acting normaly until you try to go to "on" and then nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Quote:
I have been messing with the headunit and cycling power and now my car won't start. It won't even go into the 'On" position. I think I some how tripped the immobilizer because I am getting a warning about my keyless access system is disabled. Has anyone had issues with this?
I don't want to get too off topic in this thread but it sounds like you tripped the immobilizer, it doesn't sound to me anyways that you damaged anything. I found this from a Forester manual. http://www.subsuv.com/subco-95.html

If this doesn't work I'd suggest asking in the WRX Facebook group or in a more active sub-thread here if you want some quick replies.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #466
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

I got it working again. I was just being an idiot. In the cabin fuse panel, there are three fuses in a row to the right of the main panel. These fuses are not on the diagram in the manual. I assumed they were spare fuses because most of the slots in the row don't have leads. Turns out these are not spare fuses, but rather fuses for the relays. My starter relay fuse was blown and I had not checked these fuses. Replaced that one and car is back to normal. Thanks for your advice!
Old 08-01-2020, 12:55 AM   #467
maronsp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 517212
Default Help for AA

Can you help me with the bits your got to make this work?
maronsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #468
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Well, after living with the 2019 Phone headunit for awhile, I ended up going back aftermarket (https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WT7600NEX).

It was working fine, but in the end I missed wireless carplay and a bigger floating screen.

That being said, I am willing to sell all of my OEM equipment. I have a 2019 Phone headunit, 2.1 A USB module, steering wheel controls (new), AXXESS TYTO, as well as my custom wiring harness. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days if anyone is interested. Thanks for all amazing work the group did to sort this out.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #469
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Well, after living with the 2019 Phone headunit for awhile, I ended up going back aftermarket (https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WT7600NEX).

It was working fine, but in the end I missed wireless carplay and a bigger floating screen.

That being said, I am willing to sell all of my OEM equipment. I have a 2019 Phone headunit, 2.1 A USB module, steering wheel controls (new), AXXESS TYTO, as well as my custom wiring harness. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days if anyone is interested. Thanks for all amazing work the group did to sort this out.
CarPlay / Android Auto is such a battery drain that I would only ever use it plugged in, but it seems the 2020 Subaru models support Wireless CarPlay mentioned here . Wonder if an update for the 2019 radios also enables this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
I might have narrowed it down to the 10 pin connector as my issue. When i only have the 10 pin connector plugged in i get full sound from the 2018 HU and not the 2019. There is no differences from what i can see in the diagrams. Any suggustions? I will see what the multi tells me on the amp side later on in the week.
Did you ever get your setup working?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #470
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
CarPlay / Android Auto is such a battery drain that I would only ever use it plugged in, but it seems the 2020 Subaru models support Wireless CarPlay mentioned here . Wonder if an update for the 2019 radios also enables this.
I have a 30 min commute and I run wirelessly there and back and still get a full day's charge (iphone 10). If it were a longer trip then I would definitely plug it in. Wireless is a nice feature, especially for shorter trips.

That would be awesome if OEM had a wireless option. I do know that Apple REQUIRES a GPS antenna for wireless carplay. For wired, your phone will use its built in antenna, but for wireless it requires the GPS signal to be from the headunit.

For the 2019 "PHONE" headunits, there is not a plug for a GPS antenna, so it would likely be impossible to software update that headunit for wireless carplay.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #471
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

I am selling my 2019 PHONE headunit as well as the USB module and steering wheel controls. PM me an offer if you are interested.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #472
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507139

Not sure it'll help anyone but the dealer replaced my radio today because the plastic on the bottom edge of the screen was bubbling up. I went from "22"to "36"version number. The 22 version was provided to me by @brettjson a little while back.
THX0849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #473
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
I am selling my 2019 PHONE headunit as well as the USB module and steering wheel controls. PM me an offer if you are interested.
I don't need the radio but I am starting to put together parts to do the same swap now in my WRX. I'd be interested in the USB and steering wheel controls if the price was decent.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #474
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
I might have narrowed it down to the 10 pin connector as my issue. When i only have the 10 pin connector plugged in i get full sound from the 2018 HU and not the 2019. There is no differences from what i can see in the diagrams. Any suggustions? I will see what the multi tells me on the amp side later on in the week.
I found a yard in Canada that has a car with the Amp. Let me know if you are still interested and I can share the details in a PM. I'm going to be building a no-cut plug & play adapter for my 2016 WRX that will simply going between the amp connections in the trunk and the new 2019 amp. If you purchased the amp I mentioned above WITH PIGTAILS (which this yard will do) I could also build you an adapter if you'd like assuming my install goes as smoothly as I think it will.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #475
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

Quote:
I found a yard in Canada that has a car with the Amp. Let me know if you are still interested and I can share the details in a PM. I'm going to be building a no-cut plug & play adapter for my 2016 WRX that will simply going between the amp connections in the trunk and the new 2019 amp. If you purchased the amp I mentioned above WITH PIGTAILS (which this yard will do) I could also build you an adapter if you'd like assuming my install goes as smoothly as I think it will.
Yes. Please pm me the details.

Thank you
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote