Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #426
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
They'll also have to make a harness for the 2019 Amp too right? Or are you hoping to use the 2018?
I don't have the 2019 amp so I'll see if I can make it work with the 2018.
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2020, 12:42 AM   #427
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
I don't have the 2019 amp so I'll see if I can make it work with the 2018.
I thought on May 4th you said

"I managed to source out a 2019 amplifier from a wrx and it differs from a 2018.
So swapping out the amp is not an option."

Where did you find that from?
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #428
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I thought on May 4th you said

"I managed to source out a 2019 amplifier from a wrx and it differs from a 2018.
So swapping out the amp is not an option."

Where did you find that from?
I did source one out but he was not selling it but was nice enough to provide me with pictures.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #429
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
I did source one out but he was not selling it but was nice enough to provide me with pictures.
Ah ok I misunderstood that original post then. All of my replies assumed you had a 2019 amp in hand as well to play around with.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #430
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490337

I wired the harness and installed the headunit and it seems to be working.

This is my setup:
2016 WRX with OEM HK/NAV
New HU: 2019 "PHONE" headunit (nomn-hk/nav)
Axxess TYTO-2
Custom harness from Autoharnesshouse
2019 USB hub

Working:
- Audio (front, rear, fade, balance)
- Radio, XM, Bluetooth
- Apple Carplay
- Bright signal (dims with headlights)
- OTA firmware update
- Radio turns on and off with car turning on and off
- OEM microphone
- Back-up cam (however does not have lines)
- Steering wheel controls*
*I have not yet installed the 2019 steering wheel buttons, but the current buttons work but just do the wrong thing, so I am assuming there will not be an issue here

Not tested:
- Android Auto (don't have android phone)
- Speed responsive volume

Not working/issue/caveat:
- the dimmer dial does not change the display brightness, the headlights on and off work for dimming the screen, but the fine tune adjustments doesn't work, but you can adjust it in the software, so no big deal
- you will lose OEM nav
- when the radio is on but muted there is a very slight hum from speakers, I did not notice this wth the engine on, I only noticed it when the engine off in the garage, so I do not think it will be noticeable while driving
- i have a 2016 which was pre-telematics module, I do not know how that would work with this

Installation notes:
- overall pretty easy
- had to soldier/crimp wires from the Axxess harness to the harness from Brian
- no splicing on the car, easily can return to 100% stock

I will report back after testing it for a week or so and see if any issues pop up. As far as detailed instructions, let me know if anyone is interested and I can go into more detail on how to make the harness.
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:58 PM   #431
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post

This is my setup:
2016 WRX with OEM HK/NAV
Axxess TYTO-2
2019 USB hub

Working:
- Radio, XM, Bluetooth
- Apple Carplay
- OTA firmware update
- OEM microphone
*I have not yet installed the 2019 steering wheel buttons, but the current buttons work but just do the wrong thing, so I am assuming there will not be an issue here

Not tested:

- the dimmer dial does not change the display brightness, the headlights on and off work for dimming the screen, but the fine tune adjustments doesn't work, but you can adjust it in the software, so no big deal
- you will lose OEM nav
- when the radio is on but muted there is a very slight hum from speakers, I did not notice this wth the engine on, I only noticed it when the engine off in the garage, so I do not think it will be noticeable while driving
- i have a 2016 which was pre-telematics module, I do not know how that would work with this

Installation notes:
- overall pretty easy

I will report back after testing it for a week or so and see if any issues pop up. As far as detailed instructions, let me know if anyone is interested and I can go into more detail on how to make the harness.

Great news. Glad to hear. Waiting on my harness from Brian to start my testing.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #432
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Great news. Glad to hear. Waiting on my harness from Brian to start my testing.
Is Brian building you a conversion harness or some sort of an adapter?
Old 06-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #433
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507139

Quote:
Man, you know a LOT more about car audio than I do. That seems like a nice set up you have there. I wonder if in an attempt to make the stock headunit sound better with stock speakers it messed up your tune. I hope you are able to get it sounding better.
Turns out my Android Auto issues were (are) phone related, swapped back for a couple days to my Pixel 2 and not a once have I had the "connectivity"issue, works correctly every single time I plug it in. As far as the sound difference, yes I had to "retune" it for the new head unit software, this one seems "flatter" which is actually a good thing. Thanks again for providing the update for my head unit. Only thing left stock in my car, audio wise, is the radio itself, no speakers or wiring were reused for the system I installed. May in the future replace the radio but gonna have to wait a bit for that.
THX0849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #434
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Is Brian building you a conversion harness or some sort of an adapter?
Its their jumper type harness. This way i dont need to worry about touching the factory harness
Old 06-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #435
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:

This is my setup:
2016 WRX with OEM HK/NAV
Axxess TYTO-2
2019 USB hub

Working:
- Radio, XM, Bluetooth
- Apple Carplay
- OTA firmware update
- OEM microphone

Not tested:

- you will lose OEM nav

Installation notes:
- overall pretty easy

Great write-up bud! This should help a lot simply wanting to add car-play.

I was able to source a 2019 MAP Radio and HK Amp myself. I made sure to ask the junk yard to include pigtails so that I could build my own harness. Undecided if I will be tossing this in my Crosstrek or WRX but I will report back with a detailed post after I get everything working. I have a pretty busy summer so it may be weeks or even months but I will report back.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #436
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Great write-up bud! This should help a lot simply wanting to add car-play.

I was able to source a 2019 MAP Radio and HK Amp myself. I made sure to ask the junk yard to include pigtails so that I could build my own harness. Undecided if I will be tossing this in my Crosstrek or WRX but I will report back with a detailed post after I get everything working. I have a pretty busy summer so it may be weeks or even months but I will report back.

Nice. Good luck. Excited to see what you can sort out.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #437
thezfunk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 515523

How much does the new head unit cost? When you put a new head unit in does it take special programming to match it to the computer or any security features?
thezfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #438
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezfunk View Post
How much does the new head unit cost? When you put a new head unit in does it take special programming to match it to the computer or any security features?
I paid $300 for the headunit and USB module. Add another $100 for the steering wheel buttons and $50 for the TYTO-02 module. I also had a custom harness made that was another $80.

Once everything was installed there is no special programming or security issues. Everything works as it should.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #439
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
I paid $300 for the headunit and USB module. Add another $100 for the steering wheel buttons and $50 for the TYTO-02 module. I also had a custom harness made that was another $80.

Once everything was installed there is no special programming or security issues. Everything works as it should.
One thing I'm debating simply passing on is the steering wheel controls. I'll screw around with a lot but airbags is something I've never been comfortable with. It has to come out in order to swap the switches correct?
Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #440
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
One thing I'm debating simply passing on is the steering wheel controls. I'll screw around with a lot but airbags is something I've never been comfortable with. It has to come out in order to swap the switches correct?
There is no way getting around removing the airbag and steering wheel. I will say, that I also had a big reservation with this back when I wanted to get an alcantara steering wheel. But ultimately I worked up the nerve and did it. It is really easy actually. I have since done it several times so now I can whip that thing off in like 5 min. The most important thing is disconnecting the battery. Press the the brake a few times after it is disconnected to discharge any stored current in the car.

If you live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, I am happy to do it for you. Otherwise, call around to various private shops. I am sure you could find someone to change 0.5-1 hrs of labor.

I used this video:
Old 06-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #441
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Just wanted to give a little progress update. I've been building a harness the past couple nights. My plan is to put it in my Crosstrek but the problem was the 13-17 XV's never came with Harman Kardon audio as an option. To solve this I'll be building an adapter harness to re-map the wires. Everything will be soldered and heat shrink wrapped. This harness will require ZERO cutting or splicing of my Crosstrek's harness so at any point the factory radio could be put back in.

This also isn't my first rodeo. Two years ago I built a similar harness for my father-in-law's Tacoma adding JBL Audio & Amp to a truck that did not have it from the factory. I documented that here if anyone wants to read. I'm following the same process and logic to build this harness.

Night 1

Night 2
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #442
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

I might have narrowed it down to the 10 pin connector as my issue. When i only have the 10 pin connector plugged in i get full sound from the 2018 HU and not the 2019. There is no differences from what i can see in the diagrams. Any suggustions? I will see what the multi tells me on the amp side later on in the week.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #443
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Here's a preview video testing the radio in my Crosstrek. Full write-up and after install video to come.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #444
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
I might have narrowed it down to the 10 pin connector as my issue. When i only have the 10 pin connector plugged in i get full sound from the 2018 HU and not the 2019. There is no differences from what i can see in the diagrams. Any suggustions? I will see what the multi tells me on the amp side later on in the week.
10-pin connector on the amp side? Post a pic
Old 07-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #445
thwrightstuff
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358745
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru WRX
World Rally Blue

Any chance anyone has this 2019 radio that they are looking to sell? I am itching to do this upgrade.
thwrightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 AM   #446
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490151
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

What is the part number for the 2019 HK+NAV Head Unit that you sourced? What model/trim did it come from? I'm assuming it was from a USDM car since it has the telematics unit. Thanks.
Subie Muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #447
seaYa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516262
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2020 STi
Series.White

Not trying to hijack but Subaru claims that 2020 wrx/sti's have wireless apple carplay, but that is definitely not the case. Anyone else confirm?
seaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #448
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzcat View Post
Not trying to hijack but Subaru claims that 2020 wrx/sti's have wireless apple carplay, but that is definitely not the case. Anyone else confirm?
Bluetooth is usually for low bandwidth applications only. Screen sharing a phone would seem to be pushing that quite a bit. I've heard those that tried it recommended using a USB cable instead for a better experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Muchacho View Post
What is the part number for the 2019 HK+NAV Head Unit that you sourced? What model/trim did it come from? I'm assuming it was from a USDM car since it has the telematics unit. Thanks.
I don't have it in front of me but I think I shared the part number up above in my pic, I know it was shared a couple other times if you read through this thread. I didn't use the telemantics unit since my 2013 XV didn't have it to begin with, everything still works fine radio wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwrightstuff View Post
Any chance anyone has this 2019 radio that they are looking to sell? I am itching to do this upgrade.
The 6" & 7" PHONE button radios are all over eBay.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #449
yizk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Muchacho View Post
My H&K 2019 part number is, 86431VA620
yizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #450
thwrightstuff
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358745
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru WRX
World Rally Blue

Does anyone know the part number for the 2019 non-HK 7in radio with CarPlay? My 2017 is a base model
thwrightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote