Pre
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139693
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-sun View Post
I did tell him nevermind. I was thinking that his Marantz would be an upgrade over my 2 year old Pioneer Receiver which is 7.1. I'm good with the speakers I have now, I was just looking at the overall "theater" pieces - the seats, the screen and the projector.

I'm stuck on what to get next in my basement, seating or the projector/screen next. And with the projector, I need to figure out what to do with my 65" 4k tv that's mounted on the wall. Do I get a motorized screen so that when we're just watching youtube or something that doesn't need to be projected, we're not wasting the bulb time on a projector? Or do I get a telescoping mount and put the TV off to the side and move over as needed?
A lot of people put a tv behind the projector screen. So they mount the tv on the wall and then the screen pulls down in front of it when they want to use the projector. Motorized isn't necessary and it's a lot more $.

Projectors do two things that many do not like. They give off heat (maybe nice in the winter but it sucks in the summer) and they make noise. A recently deceased friend used projectors for years and dumped them when he got his X940D a few years ago.

The current panels are getting so good at blacks that projectors just don't have the gain over a panel that they used to. The only benefit I see (I planned on putting a projector in my HT for many years then tossed it when I recently redid the HT) is if you really want 100+ inch screen. There are 85" panel options now that are relatively affordable (Sony X900H comes to mind and I think Black Friday the 85" was $1999). I like the 75" size myself. Put the seats 10-12 feet away and it's pretty damn nice. I'd only want a 4k projector myself and they are not cheap at all. Then you need a quality screen and those are a few grand so the projector + solid screen is going to be the better part of ten grand.

Sony's new Panel lineup released at CES and the models look really solid.

Seats I got these.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/octane-...?skuId=2796749
But I bought mine when the 3 seat setup was like $1800.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote