Member#: 36955
Vehicle:
'03 WRX sedan
WR Blue /Vishnu Stage II

Default Rack and Pionion bushing shift

James Duff

'03 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan

7,700 miles

One day out of use (due to dealer inspection)

Rack and Pinion shifting on bushings--steering wheel won't stay centered due to shift.

No suspension modifications; aftermarket rims and tires (17x7.5 +48 rims and 227/45/17 tires)

Submitted for warranty 1/12/03; denied

Service rep said that the shift (movement) was "normal"

I recently put new Rota Downshift wheels and Goodyear F1's on my '03 WRX (7,700 mi.) and then took it to the best alignment shop in San Diego to get a 4 wheel alignment done. After the test-drive, the tech said he couldn't get the steering wheel centered because the rack and pinion was shifting on the bushings. He then put the car on the rack and showed me the movement as he turned the wheel from side to side. The manager said they've done lots of WRX's and that they haven't seen this. I took the car to a dealer and they told me after an inspection that the movement is normal

Does anyone have any feedback for me? Is it really within factory specs for the rack and pinion to shift so much that the steering wheel is affected?

I'm going to call some other dealers in San Diego County tomorrow for more feedback but if I come to believe that this R&P movement isn't acceptable and I can't get a local dealer to resolve it then what are my options?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jimi Dee is offline   Reply With Quote