Old 08-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
Yeltsew
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 515260
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX w/ EJ20X
Silver

I have an ej20x with a vf52 in my car with the exhaust avcs unplugged right now and I find it to be really laggy and have almost no low end torque. It could be that my turbo is on its way out, but I don't build hardly any boost until 3500-4k rpm. I've seen a lot of people say to retard the exhaust cam by two teeth, like nsfw said.

I do have a hunch that part of why the car feels so laggy is because of the avcs. I'm going to talk with my tuner on Thursday and see what he thinks, because I'd really like to try and make this car a lot less laggy and have more low end, like the 20x engines came in Japan. I'm not searching for crazy high power numbers, just a wide powerband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
The 08 STI exhaust cam pulleys have springs on them which pull the cams into max advance, which is also max piston-to-valve clearance and zero overlap (best idle). With no power to the AVCS solenoid, the cam angle stays put.
I really want to try getting your avcs controller working on my car. I know you designed it with a 257 in mind, but I'm sure it could easily be adapted to work with a 20x (or maybe already has and I just missed it). I tried sending you a message asking if it was something you'd be willing to give some advice on, but it said your inbox was full.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Yeltsew is offline   Reply With Quote