View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #1
V8 Sonoma GT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374106
Vehicle:
05 92-X Aero

Default Bad turbo, or..??..??

Hate to make a new post. But I've had no luck so far searching.

First fire up since new head gaskets. '05 ej205. White smoke from tail pipe see;
, and fluid coming out of driver side manifold at the head.

Im 90% sure that it was Oil that was dripping out of the manifold (and not mixed with coolant), I caught some :

For reference, I caught some coolant when I pulled turbo. Pictured on same surface, only on reverse side

Still can't smell due to Covid. so I'm not 100% sure.
Seeing as I have just done the head gaskets, I am ruling that out. I will confirm tomorrow with a compression test (pending i can find that tester) that its not a ringland failure, or hole in piston. I highly doubt this as it was making full boost when I parked it to do the head gaskets.

Anyways, pulled the I/C and this is what it looked like

SO....I pulled the turbo expecting problems. Because maybe I didn't remember correctly that I checked for shaft play during reassembly this time. But, I did remember correct, absolutely zero shaft play. And I pulled the turbo and I/C and driver side manifold all within an hour of turning it off...And could not find any evidence of fluid. It could have all burned, but I wasnt racing the thing, it was just idling for about 5 min. It didnt gwt that hot. Hell, I pulled the turbo by hand.
Motor was completely dry of fluid for the duration of the head gaskets project. I ran water thru turbo once out of car, and I saw no evidence on hot side of a crack allowing coolant thru. So im at a loss here.... any help would be appreciated.

FYI:
Heads, are new to this car, no cracks to the valve seat. Pressure tested. Resurfaced
Full timing set from Ashin including water pump
Street pro cometic head gaskets
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
V8 Sonoma GT is offline   Reply With Quote