View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
jimmy12345678
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516695
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default Valve Rattle At High RPM's Under Load (5k RPM+), Faulty VVL Solenoid

I have an engine rattle that I haven't been able to pin down yet, but I have a theory that I'd like to put forth to the group and see what more experienced Subie owners have experienced.

The rattling noise occurs when going up steep grades at high RPM's under load, like 5,000+. A few months back when the noise occurred it set a CEL, P0028 for the Bank 2 Intake Valve Control Solenoid and a noticable "valve rattle" type noise could be heard. I ran a can of BG Engine Performance Restore through the engine to flush out the oil (leftover can from when I worked at the dealership) and so far the code has not come back, but the rattle can still be heard under the conditions I previously said.

A little more background, when I purchased this vehicle (2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i) it had a leaking VVL oil pressure sensor on Bank 2, which was misdiagnosed as a bad head gasket and is how I ended up with the car, as the owner didn't want to spend that kind of money. I made sure to keep the oil level up driving the car back home and replaced the sensor ASAP after getting the car, but I have no way of knowing whether it's been ran low on oil before I took possession of it.

So what do you guys think? Could this be caused by a failing VVL solenoid (but not bad enough to cause a CEL) or is it more likely I have engine damage that is making itself known by knocking at high RPM's?

Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jimmy12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote