4x4GGG
RIP Donny

Member#: 12686
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2017 Escape SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by just smurfy View Post
Since your budget is <$700, you're definately looking at roto-moulded plastic, the most common and cheapest kayak construction material.

Upsides to sit-on-tops:

1) Sit-on-tops are good as a fishing platform for bays and the ocean, since you don't need any skills to be able to get back on it if you were to fall off or tip over. Since sit-on-tops can't fill with water, you don't have to worry about that either.

2) Sit-on-tops are good for people who are uncomfortable with having their feet inside and semi-restrained, and they're also good for those who don't have good paddling/kayak skills.

3) They're very stable platforms for fishing, photography, or as a SCUBA base.

4) They're inexpensive.

Downsides:

1) Short sit-on-tops can't go fast, so you're going to be at the mercy of heavy currents. Don't take the kayak where the currents are going to take you where you don't want to go.

2) Sit-on-tops basically make you sit in the water all day vs traditional kayaks where you can be completely sealed from the elements. If the water is going to be cold, you need to either wear fully waterproof pants/dry suit or....be miserable. They also don't have large waterproof holds for keeping your gear dry.

3) They tend to be heavy and wide, so they take more effort to go a distance.

4) The seats are often not as comfortable as the newer traditional kayaks.

5) You can't carry as much gear with one (like for overnight trips, etc).

Basically, if you just want a platform for dinking around a bay with little to no current - and not travel very far, without having to learn much in the way of skills, and you've got gear to keep you dry (or are in warm water) - then a sit-on-top is the way to go. If I were you, I'd rent a few before settling on one. Be sure to buy a QUALITY paddle - a lightweight one with the appropriately-sized blades or else your arms/body/shoulders will tire quickly.
We're both n00bs as far as kayaks go, but living on the water looks like it'll be a lot of fun and a good work out for us both.

I can't say I'm too worried about hauling anything that won't fit in a zip lock bag under my leg, such as a camera and cell phone. No way would I plan on doing over night stuff, but good looking out.

Like I said, mostly I plan on doing some exploring sticking close to land.

What, as far as paddles, should we be looking for as a proper fit? Length? Paddle size? Ect? How do we know whats right?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4x4GGG is offline   Reply With Quote