View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
EdgeAutosport.com
Former Vendor

Member#: 329319

Last Sunday I went to one of our local road courses, High Plains Raceway (completely forgot the GoPros ) and gave it the beans in completely stock trim just to see what it would do. I still had the all seasons on from when we bought the car. I knew the brakes would fade badly and quickly. It ended up being worse than I anticipated. The stock WRX brakes were noticeably fading by about half a lap in. All season tires weren't the weak point, believe it or not. I was only able to get 2 laps in during the first lapping session before it ended so they held up okay by then. I went out for another 3 or 4 laps about 30 minutes later and the brakes were slightly worse. I still pounded the car into the corner beyond what most people probably feel comfortable doing. I had a couple pucker moments when I was standing on the brakes at the end of the straights and it was slowing down less than what I wanted. I knew I had one more session left at the most.

30 minutes later went out again for a hard 4 laps and when I pulled off (didn't feel safe going any further), I parked it, got out and immediately got back in the car to drive around the pits. The pads would have probably caught on fire if I didn't. They were smoking....bad lol. So now we have a baseline at the road course. Those STI Brembos sure do sound nice right about now! Although we won't be going that far, we will be upgrading everything but the calipers. Stay tuned for that.

On a positive note, the only STI I encountered on the course was on my rear end in the twisties but I barely pulled him on the straights. So I know the car is making decent power.

We also have a turbo back on the car as it sits but haven't gone to the dyno to get a new baseline. We'll post up again when we do that.

Here is the track layout if you're interested. It's a 2.55 mile course with over 300ft of cumulative elevation change!!! It even has a Laguna Seca ish corkscrew before the Start/Finish, not quite that crazy but not too far off. I had a blast and I'm looking forward to going back this weekend to get a little more seat time before the snow hits.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
EdgeAutosport.com is offline   Reply With Quote