Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
CalvinT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329025
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

I just did the fog light relay conversion. I have a 2002 WRX. All my comments about fuse location and function are for a 2002 WRX. Your mileage may vary.

I cut both the RED WIRE WITH GREEN STRIPE (RG) that goes to the foglight relay and the RG wire that goes to the foglight switch. I folded back and taped off the car side of both RG wires so they wouldn't short out later.

I then connected the both RG wire from the switch and the RG wire from the relay to the GREEN (G) wire that goes to the ignition relay. It's the bottom relay in the relay block. (I should have used the GW wire, see warning about fuses below)

I could have used the GREEN WIRE WITH WHITE STRIPE (GW) wire but decided not to. There is no functional difference in using either the GREEN wire or GW wire if you get a good connection. (Again, see warning below)

The vampire clips I used were for 18-14 gauge wire. The GW wire seemed smaller than 18 gauge. The RG wires are 18 gauge. The GREEN wire seems to be either 14 or 16 gauge.

You won't get a good connection if you use a vampire clip with smaller wire than it's rated for. That could be one reason people had trouble when they tried connecting to the GW wire.

I left the ground connection to the switch stock. This allows me to use my fog lights the way I want and not the way the Government wants.

Now I can turn my fog lights on anytime the ignition is on. The indicator light comes on when the fog lights are on. If I turn on my high beam the fog lights go off. They also go off if I flash someone.

My next step is to connect a switch so i can turn off my Daytime Running Lights when I want. I disabled them, then realized they made me more noticeable, meaning someone is less likely to pull out in front of me. But i don't want them on if it's foggy.

****** WARNING ******

Be aware that the GREEN wire has a 50 A fuse (SBF-4 in the main fuse box) protecting it and the GW wire has a 15A fuse (No 5 in the main fuse box) protecting it. This means if you connect to the GREEN wire and the wiring you added later has a short to ground you may melt a wire and have a fire. If you connect to the GW wire and have a short you should be safe.

Having written that. I'll be moving my vampire clip tomorrow. I didn't fully research this until I decided to do this writeup.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CalvinT is offline   Reply With Quote