Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

Name: Kris

Make: '17 WRX

Mileage: 27k

Time Out Of Use: n/a

Problem And Likely Cause: Chirping throw-out bearing (TSB), unacceptable rattle behind headunit, broken rear cupholder

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial: Despite TSB, dealer claims noise is not indicative of a problem with the throw-out bearing and will not replace it under warranty. Dealer says diagnostic for rattling noise behind headunit will be $100 and didn't give me a warm fuzzy anything would be covered under warranty, even if they found and fixed the issue. They gave me a price to fix the rear cupholder and never mentioned or offered to pay for it under warranty.

Your Story: This is mainly about the throw-out bearing. Bought the car used with about 25k miles. About a week after I got the car, I started hearing a chirping sound coming from underneath the car. I actually heard it while I was going through a drive-through as the sound was bouncing off the building and being amplified. I actually pulled over in the parking lot to figure out where it was coming from and discovered it was the throw-out bearing after I found pressing on the clutch pedal stopped the noise. Did some searching online and found the threads and TSB about it. I took a few vids on my phone over the course of a few weeks and brought that to the dealer with the TSB.

So I guess that is how it works these days. You own a $30k+ car with issues and have to play hardball to get them to honor the warranty that every car manufacturer touts as some sort of good thing.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by PilotKD; 02-14-2020 at 08:58 AM.
PilotKD is offline   Reply With Quote