View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #23
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Ultimate already answered, but Ill toss in my 2c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dads_cruizzzer
This is the first FAQ post I've read on this subject and it's been informative. Although, there are still a few question I need answers to. Forgive me if these questions have been answered and just tell me to keep searching and I will.

1. Is there a 'BEST' EM to run this with? I have a single mode ECUTEK (no high boost de-frost button mode). I am remotely thinking of getting away from ECUTEK and getting the AP Street Tuner. Will that EM support alky injection?
ANY em will work with alch injection. You just have to tune for it. WIth AP or ECUtek this means getting it tuned. With street tuner or UTEC you can do it yourself. You will find getting help with the mapping easier with a UTEC though, simply because so many more people are running it, and a lot of us have been running a UTEC for years. But either can handle it.

2. Is there a concern that the alcohol will evaporate out over an extended period? My daily driver is seldom in boost. When I do play it's just occassional bursts unless I go to autocross events once every three months. Is there a certain alcohol content that needs to be maintained?
Nope, just keep the lid on it, and it will be fine.

3. The most important question of all - how does this affect SMOG CHECK???
a. Since most smog check stations don't have 4-wheel dynos, they will rev up and check emissions. If the boost doesn't get to 5-7 psi (no engine load) then, the alky doesn't flow right? Is there a danger in that? I assume not, since there is no boost, but will the smog sensors read a rich mix and therefore cause a failed check?
It doesnt spray untill you get into boost. Default for the SMC kit and most others, is about 7PSI.

4. If running catless, does this get rid of the unburnt exhaust gas smell. I assume not at idle.
You will most likely notice an alcohol smell when and right after it sprays. Othewise no, it will smell the same.

5. If exhaust gasses are colder, will I see full boost a little later than without alky?
Not unless your tune sucks. You should spool FASTER with alch injection. You can run a much more agressive timing and fueling map. The spool on my car is almost violent once this starts spraying. It just slams to full boost.

6. It seems like you will only save fuel (increase mpg) when the alky is flowing, is this the case?
Yup. if its not spraying, its exactly like NOT having alch injection.

7. Are any of these question that important to anyone else.....
Nope just you j/k someone probably wondered the same kinds of things.

Thanks in advance and excuse the noob questions...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote