View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #32
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

It seems like somehow I am missing parts up there.
here is what I cant seem to find.
What happens if the kit fails while under hard boost? Well, to be quite honest, there is a very real chance that you will lose the motor. In fact, if tuned agressively, its an almost certainty. The reason is that even if you map as conservatively as possible, you will be pulling out MASSIVE amounts of fuel from your fuel maps to get back to a normal A/F. If you are tuned to 11.5ish-1, and it fails, you will end up at like 17-1. Imagine being at 18PSI, and all the sudden going to 17-1. If tuned agressively, well, forget it. Bad things are almost certainly going to happen.

OMG this sounds WAY to dangerous to run!! Yes and no. I have yet to hear of any failures, other than 1 or 2, where it was determined to 100% be user error in the installation or way back in the day where a pump failed because it wasnt made to pump alcohol and the seals died. In the case of the pump dieing, it was discovered before any boost, and the motor was not damaged. Most of these kits are VERY well tested. SMC, Aquamist, Coolingmist and a few others have been doing this a LONG time before it hit the Subaru market. And the turbo buick guys have been running this over a decade.. If your EM can be set to be more sensative and more agressive regarding detonation (agressive as far as how much timing it pulls when it hears det), and you tune conservatively, your motor should have a fighting chance.

Really, if installed correctly, it is very reliable and you shouldnt really worry too much.

So whats the difference between an "agressive" tune and a "conservative" tune? A conservative tune would be ONLY fuel tuning, to get back to the same a/f's you would run if not on alch injection.

An agressive tune would be something like tuning to 12.5-1, upping the boost 2-4PSI and running a good bit more timing.

A Super conservative tune will yeild not nearly as much power increase, maybe 10whp if that, but a much smoother pull while it sprays and a MUCH MUCH lower tendancy to detonate. In fact you can be fairly sure you will NEVER det no matter what the weather conditions. You could probably get away with running gas of lower octane with no issues as well. I know for a fact you can run 91 octane on a 93 octane map with no detonation whatsoever with a tune like that. I never tried 89 but I am fairly sure it would have been fine, but with a crappier idle.

An aggressive tune will yeild a very nice power increase and is almost impossible to beat bang for the buck. On a "stage 2" STI I would expect minimum gains in the 25-35whp area with a tune like this, depending on how crazy you go.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Davenow; 03-04-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote