Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
RS25scooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103611
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

i would say the same thing after researching turbo kits and having three friends that have had turboed rs's. i even started buying parts for the turbo kit and then realized that the swap would be more reliable and about the same price. i am planning on doing a JDM v.3 sti swap into my rs. garage tuning will do the full swap with exhaust, act clutch, flywheel and everything running, out the door for about $6000. or you could do the swap yourself if you're good at wiring and have the resources. the JDM motors will make quite a bit of power though, like for an sti engine depending on the year and if it had any mods, it will probably make between 250 and 300 hp. i would definitely do the swap though. even if you got a usdm motor from a wrecked wrx or something, you are still looking at 217hp (i think) and that's a totally stock motor. if you wanted to and had the money afterward, you could buy a turboback exhaust, up-pipe, and the COBB accessport and run with american STi's easy. just my $.02.

on the other hand, one of my friends rs's had an sti turbo/intercooler, headers, (and a bunch of other stuff), and after tuning he had about 300 hp at 7 psi of boost with really quick spool-up and good torque. i have definitely heard of people blowing motors like this though, and it is always better to have a turbo on a car that was meant to have one from the factory. if you do go the turbo kit route you should definitely get a standalone engine management system, which are usually about $1500 say if you got the hydra.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RS25scooby is offline   Reply With Quote