View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #22
Ultimate Collision Center
Former Vendor

Member#: 69072
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads_cruizzzer
This is the first FAQ post I've read on this subject and it's been informative. Although, there are still a few question I need answers to. Forgive me if these questions have been answered and just tell me to keep searching and I will.

1. Is there a 'BEST' EM to run this with? I have a single mode ECUTEK (no high boost de-frost button mode). I am remotely thinking of getting away from ECUTEK and getting the AP Street Tuner. Will that EM support alky injection? I personally like the UTEC but the I believe the AP Street Tuner can work just fine with alcohol injection.

2. Is there a concern that the alcohol will evaporate out over an extended period? My daily driver is seldom in boost. When I do play it's just occassional bursts unless I go to autocross events once every three months. Is there a certain alcohol content that needs to be maintained? As long as the container you have the alcohol in is properly sealed you shouldn't have a problem.

3. The most important question of all - how does this affect SMOG CHECK???
a. Since most smog check stations don't have 4-wheel dynos, they will rev up and check emissions. If the boost doesn't get to 5-7 psi (no engine load) then, the alky doesn't flow right? Is there a danger in that? I assume not, since there is no boost, but will the smog sensors read a rich mix and therefore cause a failed check? One you can have a manual switch to turn the alcohol off if need be, two at low boost the alcohol is generally not on anyways, you usually start to ramp it up around 10psi giver or take depending on your tuner.

4. If running catless, does this get rid of the unburnt exhaust gas smell. I assume not at idle. You will still have a very similar smell, atleast I have never noticed a difference.

5. If exhaust gasses are colder, will I see full boost a little later than without alky? Typically no, but depends on your tune, you can run more timing which usually helps spool up, but its all going to come down to your tuner.

6. It seems like you will only save fuel (increase mpg) when the alky is flowing, is this the case? Yea, because you only run less fuel when the alky is spraying.

7. Are any of these question that important to anyone else.....

Thanks in advance and excuse the noob questions...
Hope that helps, not sure if I got them all.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ultimate Collision Center is offline   Reply With Quote