View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
joea99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix3L8 View Post
I believe in 06 Subaru started the AVLS system for some ej253 engines which means some had the variable valve lift like mine and some didn't. I called a dealer to order my short block and they seemed to imply all ej253 short blocks were the same except if it was manual or automatic. The only differences that I know of are with the intakes like spartan said and in the various sensor and computer setups in different car/ year combinations. It always sucks when you own a car of a year when the manufacturer changed a bunch of stuff, apparently, 06 was one of those years. the best advice I can give is to call a local subie dealer and pick the parts guys brain about your problem. Also I find it hilarious Subaru doesn't sell an OEM long block option...like cmon guys we don't all want eBay JDM engines when we blow our cars up.
I think the only difference between the manual and automatic is the manual has a "guide" for the timing belt, over the crank pulley I think, and the automatic does not. Something about leaving trans in gear while parked and getting a bump from behind, forcing the engine to rotate backward and jump a tooth.

Any easy way of telling if the AVLS stuff is there? the FSM says something about the "valve" in the head, but I never bothered to look for it. Guess I have to now.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
joea99 is offline   Reply With Quote