Old 01-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #264
Rallyquest
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521853
Vehicle:
2008 STi
White - Gold wheels

Default New owner of '08 STi, knew I'd have to do the bracket

Just purchased a pretty much mint '08 STi with 104,000 km on the clock. Went into this knowing there was a strong possibility of this needing repair from all the pre-buy research I did. Clutch wasn't creaking and brake pedal had minimal movement, but looking how it was made, it's inevitable with all of these cars.
Removed the cowl cover and the top rivets were cracked. 1 of the bottom ones was starting to go as well.
Took about 3 hours to repair, didn't want to rush. Removed the DS side dash panel and the lower dash panel. From there with a long extension I could get to the top rivets after drilling them out, 1 at a time. Used 1/4-20 bolts with fender washers. Added an extra bolt between them, so now there are 3 securing points at the top. 1 rivet had barely caught the top edge of the bracket. Terrible engineering design, way under built as well.
The lower rivets were next to impossible to reach, so I drilled 4 bolts out so I could fish them into place with mechanic's wire. Would have bought the well done HR kit, but had it apart and couldn't wait for parts.
Coat it all with white sealant to keep the moisture out.
Not terribly difficult, just a bit time consuming. Upside there are no wiring harnesses in the way to damage. Definitely a must-do for any of these vehicles.
I took photos, may link them sometime
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Rallyquest; 01-22-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Rallyquest is offline   Reply With Quote