Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501470
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2008 STI
White

Default Another victim of the spot welds

Well,
I know how it probably happened, high cycle fatigue, I daily drive the car and probably had 60 clutch presses on my commute, some quick math that about 270,000 times in a 3 year span.
So I let it got for 40+ thousands miles until recently not only the clutch made sound but the brake pedal clack and creek. That scared me, so while in "social distancing" took on this project while working from home.

After disassembly I had 6 out of 8 welds broken. I went with 6mm flange bolts and nuts from mcmastercarr. To stay with 10mm sockets for most bolting (a most have if you ask me). The reason I went to flange bolt was to spread the stress, the original weld was about 5mm wide, and the fact the it broke around the weld tells me the base material failed. So spreading the load on a 13.5 mm diameter surface. I hope this extends the fatigue life enough that I don't have to worry about this again.

Some tips and tricks,
-An old machinist trick, use self tapping screws as pilot drill bits, if they get dull throw them away, grab another one until a screw is in. Then remove it.
-Don't beat around the bush, take the dash out.
-Moving the body control module, fuse box and a few other harness out of the way will help. Get better access to the top of the pedals. I cut the insulation in a few places.
-Remove the driver seat, put something down so you don't get stab from 2 screws sticking up under the carpet
-Use loctite, you down want to be in here ever again.
-If you plan to install a aftermarket stereo with navigation, etc. This is a perfect time. You can easily run you microphone cables, speed sensor, ebrake, etc.
-It takes a few days.

If you are reading this, we feel your pain.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gabriel.atienza is offline   Reply With Quote