View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
tmp042
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524797
Vehicle:
2010 XT Forester

Default Home made/designed radiator

After purchasing a new Mishimoto radiator and unboxing it, I was rather disappointed with the build quality and poor welds. I looked at other local brands, but they too were similar in construction.
I then decided to try and build my own (never made one before). Its taken many months, but finally tonight the last piece was completed and its ready to be dropped off to the welder.
The fan mounts were 3D printed and the inlet dome end was cnc machined. Filler neck is made by speed-flow and I machined up a sleeve to match the oem overflow hose which was pressed over with a dab of loctite.

I really like the Fumoto drain valve on my oil sump, so decided to put one on the bottom end tank to make it easy to drain the coolant. Most aftermarket radiators just expect you to cover your arms in coolant when loosening the drain bung.
I drew the end tanks in CAD and then had them laser cut from 5005 and precisely cnc folded (the entire top tank is a single piece).

All the other fittings I machined from 6061 based exactly on the factory dimensions. The new radiator is still the same size as oem, but with a thicker 38mm core (its still 50mm thick which is the same width as the plastic end tank crimping). Fitment in the engine bay is perfect and absolutely no interference with the hoses or aftermarket SSI headers.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by tmp042; 10-01-2021 at 10:22 PM.
tmp042 is offline   Reply With Quote