View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
rmbrady
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6228
Vehicle:
2017 SS

Question Is the USDM really that much better?

I'm wondering if everyone isn't getting a little too confident about the new car here. I want to believe that it will be the baddest thing on the road, and be way better than the JDM car, but I'm not sure. Perhaps Paul Hanson can help answer my question. A month ago here in Japan a magazine did dynos on all of the JDM cars that are rated at 276HP to see what they were really rated at. Of course one of the cars was the STi, albeit the previous bugeyed version. The dyno showed that the STi really had 302 HP and not the 276 claimed by Subaru, not really a surprise. I don't remeber the torque, so I can't make that comparison. But using the numbers from the magazine, it sounds like the JDM STi, has a minisule edge over the USDM version.

Now I realize that the modding potential is probably going to be greater for the USDM, but right out the box maybe the States won't have an advantage. I'm thinking that maybe performance will be the same, and we get the 2.5 because Subaru wanted to keep the performance the same around the world and not have the USDM be weaker. Or maybe the US is finally getting something that is cooler than everything else.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.