Old 07-07-2021, 02:17 AM   #1255
jsmaze
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 23354
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
1998 Toyota Sienna
"Olaf"

I did an "Intro to Kayaking" 2 hour tour yesterday and had a blast. The instructor did talk a little about the various types of kayaks, but it was all new info to me so I lost it, hah.

We just paddled around the marina with some wind, 15-20mph at times.

Having been living right by the river for years, but rarely using it, it was wonderful being out/in the water. I practically grew up on an open bow 19' Marlin in/outboard on this same delta, and miss it. A lot, apparently.

So, I started at the beginning of the thread, but it's a bit old now and I imagine the tech has advanced a bit, and the brands have changed. Apologies if ya'll just went over this in the last few pages, and if so, just say so and I'll be on my way to find the posts.

1) What kind of water do you want to paddle on? (ocean, lakes, rivers)

River and surrounding delta. I'd launch primarily from here but there's places to put in all over.

2) What is your budget

Dunno, really. I know there are $300 Walmart kayaks, but I could also spend 10x that. I'm more about getting good value with a good brand. Considering I'll also need either a new roof rack, or trailer, or something, I'm into associated hardware for 500-1000 already.

I wouldn't be opposed to spending 1k on the boat, though.

3) Do you want to be able to increase your skills in kayaking, or just dink around?

Both, I suppose, but not for fishing or another platform, just day trip paddling for entertainment and exercise.

4) Do you want to do more floating, or do you want to be actually going places?

Ain't this like #3? I think I know what floating means though, like fishing - so that's a no, I want to move.

5) What are you going to be doing from the kayak (fishing, cruising, surfing, etc)

Moving. Specifically though, I guess it would be up and down the river and around the delta to appreciate the wildlife and get out into the open. Being able to actually cross the river would be a plus, as well as being able to get onto the water in colder weather.

I plan to go back to the same kayak tour place and try out a few different types/models, I just gotta actually keep track of what the heck I used. For sure it was a sit on top, can't really say how long, but was basically like the red one here (not me):

Plenty of storage behind me, and wide enough for my fat ass to fit really easily. The tour place charges $65/half day (4hr) to rent, which seems like a fine way to try some various models out.

Thanks much! Totally loved it, and forgot sunscreen on my legs, which I'm paying for right now.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jsmaze is offline   Reply With Quote