Member#: 260812
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2004 Wagon
PSM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicWRX View Post
how happy are you with the fuel flex kit?
I bought one and it failed withing a few weeks. No reply from the seller.
$300 down the drain.

Instead I'd recommend just buying the Innovate MTX-D, ECB-1, or ECF-1. The MTX-D is less expensive, comes with a gauge, and is a MUCH better product. I bought an ECB-1 4-in-1 gauge which includes a Wideband, Boost, Ethanol Content, and Fuel Temp. The Innovate gauges have a 0V to 5V output for Ethanol Content so you don'e even need to buy a converter like this Rocksteady thing.

So here's my experience with the Rocksteady kit. I purchased the RST flex kit April 18th, 2020 for $300. The kit arrived a few weeks later and was installed same day. Rocksteady sent everything needed for the installation and I had it up and running in about an hour. The most difficult part is deciding where to mount the Ethanol sensor. I was happy to see that the kit came with the nice Continental ethanol sensor.

After installing the the ethanol sensor, the converter takes only minutes to install. It just plugs in at the Ethanol sensor and then at the Rear O2 sensor plug.

I launched Romraider and saw the ethanol content sensor was sending signal. Cool.

It took me a few weeks to get my Carberry Flex Fuel tune ready. I had some mechanical issues to overcome and some tuning to do in preparation for the flex fuel setup.

So about 6 weeks after installing the kit I flashed my Flex Fuel map and fueled up with a few gallons E85. The ECU read NO ethanol content. I tested with my Multimeter and found no voltage at all at the rear O2 sensor signal wire that RST uses for ethanol content. huh?... what did I do wrong? I had 12V and ground at the rear O2 and everything was good with the tune.. Did the sensor already fail? WTF?
I bought another ethanol sensor (GM AC Delco sensor this time) but still no signal.

So on the Rocksteady site it says, "this item is guaranteed against manufacture defects replacement converters will be shipped after troubleshooting is done with technical support."

I emailed Donnie 3 times at 2 different email addresses for support troubleshooting the issue. I don't want my money back, I just want the product I paid $300 for to work as advertised.

It's been 3 weeks now and Donnie hasn't even bothered to reply. Maybe he's on vacation or something? Whatever.

Eventually I just gave up and bought an Innovate gauge. Both of my ethanol sensors are functional with the Innovate gauge and I'm now running flex fuel. I'll update the post if something changes but as of 7/10/2020 I've heard nothing from RST.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lamp is offline   Reply With Quote