Vehicle:
2017 WRX
White

Default Engine Wiring Harness

Name: Adam

Make: 2017 WRX 6MT

Mileage: 40,385miles (65,000km)

Time Out Of Use: 1 month, and counting

Problem And Likely Cause: 24020AG430 wiring harness failed between connectors E3 and E158, failed while vehicle in operation. immobilizer freaked out, forced car out of gear and stall after stopped.

Modifications: fluids

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: past 60,000km warranty, Subaru Canada doesn't consider the engine wiring harness as part of the 100,000km power-train warranty. refuses to admit the wiring harness is defective, and refuses to cover it under good will warranty.

Your Story: Driving to a job one day and the car slowly starts revving up but i'm slowly going slower (was in neutral), so I put the car in neutral, and then back into gear but it still revved without doing anything. I was going around 80 km/h, and had to pull off into a exit lane into a line of traffic. I was thinking to myself it might have been the clutch (no reason other than symptoms) the car stalled, I tried putting it into neutral and starting it again, it started and stalled out of idle immediately. tried once more and put it into neutral, and pushed it across 3 lanes and onto a less busy side road. got it towed.

problem is the wiring harness failed, the diagnostic code is B1578, no continuity between connectors E3 and E158. the new part number is different than the installed part, it was "superseded", and the new part has a technical service bulletin regarding water ingress caused failure. The dealership told me I'd need to replace the high pressure fuel lines if they needed to be removed, because they aren't reusable. (I don't understand why the Assenmacher AH8028 fuel line disconnect exists then). I ordered the new part (24020AG431) from another country (USA) at a significant discount (from a Subaru dealership), and I'm not sure if I'll have the dealership do it (at 2.5-3 hours shop labour) or do it myself with a friend (over-qualified, but not used to working on a Subaru). I've never done a engine wiring harness in a Subaru flat engine, and from inspection there is a LOT of a insulating foam between the block and the intake manifold on the drivers side and the wiring harness is smack dab under it.

I've got some time before the part comes in, once I get the repair done i'm definitely going to be keeping the old harness and checking that out.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ascho078 is offline   Reply With Quote