Member#: 15257
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Platinum

Name: Blair Johnson

Make: 1st allocation 2002 WRX wagon

Mileage: 24,000

Time out of use: None for clutch

Problem: Clutch shudder - poor choice of friction material?

Mods: New speakers

Submitted for warranty work: No* (for clutch, see below)

Pretty much from the time the car was new until about 6000 miles, I had a problem with clutch chattering only when really hot. (like stuck in gridlock in the summer) That problem seems to have all but gone away. However, at about 12,000 miles, the chattering-when-cold problem reared its ugly head. *I notified the dealer at 17,000 mi. when I had the ECU re-flashed, but was told the situation was normal, (“it goes away after a few miles, doesn’t it?”) and it was not put on record.

I’ll also mention, I typically get 100,000+ miles out of my clutches, but I’m concerned this one isn’t gonna last anywhere near as long. And as far as abuse, I try to clutch and shift carefully, but it’s hard to always be kind to the clutch when I simply cannot get a smooth start when the parts are cold. (especially when the weather is wet or humid)

I mean, the necessary increased revs as the clutch is let out in order to keep the car from violently shuddering can’t be good for the clutch and flywheel, can they? (one time, the shuddering was so bad, it felt like I ran over a row of railroad ties when pulling away from my driveway, and I felt compelled to stop, get out of the car and yell obscenities at it, at least just to make me feel better!)

I have to think, shaking like that couldn’t be good for engine/transmission mounts, etc. Even at its best behavior, I feel engagement isn’t as linear as it should be; always that “grab” right near full engagement. Hot day + hot drivetrain = no low end; only makes matters worse.

Uhhhh…sorry to get carried away here.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
flatfourx4 is offline   Reply With Quote