Scooby Newbie

Member#: 23354
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
1998 Toyota Sienna
"Olaf"

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
I use bore snakes on my shotguns and as a quick maintenance cleaning on everything else to mostly prevent carbon rings in the throat/chamber. Patches and a good copper solvent are the only way to remove copper fouling from a barrel. I typically do a good copper cleaning once a year or when accuracy starts to degrade. A good quality barrel shouldn't need cleaning often at all and a little copper fouling actually helps accuracy.
Good info, thanks. I was expecting to do solvents more often, but the more I read the less it sounds like it's really necessary, like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchoate View Post
In my experience bore snakes are ok for getting the big chunks out but they don't get stuff really clean. There's no substitute for a good cleaning rod and patches. They're better than nothing though.
The snakes down the 22 bolt action rifle got it really clean, or so said the few patches I ran later. Still a PITA for the little caliber, maybe it's easier for a larger bore.

Also just put the patriot pin kit on my Ruger AR-556, but as the CA version, had a Hera CQR stock on it. The stock gets in the way of the pin mechanism, a LOT. Sooo, need a new stock I guess, hah. Might as well if I'm moving away from featureless anyway, no?

Ordered the Magpul STR, seemed like a pretty good combo of comfort, utility, brand, and price. $75 and in stock, yay.

Forgot grip: Magpul K2+. Fancy stuff, I know.

Also totally fubared (but didn't lose, I found it! hah) the buffer tube retainer spring after not getting the tube screwed back into just the right spot. The bolt chewed the spring up right good after test cycling it a couple times. Oops.

These AR-15s have entirely too many specialized tools, good lord.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jsmaze; 12-18-2020 at 01:47 AM.
jsmaze is offline   Reply With Quote