Scooby Newbie

Member#: 23354
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
1998 Toyota Sienna
"Olaf"

Default Thanks for the help!

n2o what is the scope in your pic?

Been reading up, so I'm confident in just using the Bushnell 6-18 at first and either returning it, or handing it off to something else when I upgrade. Or should I skip it and just get the low end Vortex Crossfire II? It's only a few bucks more. Having no experience above 10x, I don't know what I'm getting into anyway. Is 6-18 enough? to 25x, or 30x+ ?

I have only used a Simmons 3-9x50 that I got like 4 or 5 on sale for $30 each. Seems to be a great bang for the buck n00b scope. I'm sure *anything* from a good manufacturer will be stellar compared to what I'm used to.

Vortex has entirely too many model lines, good lord. Nightforce seems to be better, with only a few in my price range anyway.

I haven't read bad things about Bushnell and Leupold either. I was surprised to find Brownells has their own as well. Should I really just focus on a Vortex or Nightforce?

I don't think I'll be too particular about what the reticle actually looks like, but perhaps I should investigate that. There's gotta be a ton of images/videos demonstrating how they all look.

Found a few training groups in the Bay Area, more than I was expecting really. A couple in the south bay that do precision rifle classes and have access to 3/5/7/1k spots at a few different sites. Sounds hella fun. There's another right by me in Brentwood, so they must have some private land.

Some basics:

Budget has grown I guess. I'm not opposed to something $500 or $700 if it's quality (like the Vortex Diamondback Tactical for 500?), but without the bells & whistles I don't need. Seems like I'll probably end up in the 1000-1300 range though. Vortex PST Gen II, Nightforce SHV. Even buying a rifle over 1k was really hard to do, if that helps. I can't afford/justify 2500+ for the glass....yet.

100yd is gonna remain my most common range, but there's several 200 nearby, and at one particular spot I like has a 300 and a private 1000. I figure if I really enjoy going over 100 I'll find some nearby clubs.

-Daytime only with good light, both covered and open
-Good weather
-No hunting, target only
-Not competitive, I just don't like investing time without good tools/equipment
-Don't know if MOA or MIL would be better. Seems like MOA for now
-FFP sounds like a nice feature
found a vortex video demonstrating the difference. Looks like it's a personal preference?
-Is HD noticibly more clear at 100-300yd?
-I have thick corrective lenses (I'm like 20/400), corrected to at best 20/30 with astigmatism, in case that affects anything
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jsmaze; 11-05-2020 at 10:21 PM.
jsmaze is offline   Reply With Quote